Tuesday, May 17, 2011

To Wipe or not to Wipe…that is the Question

Today I made my way through the grocery store.  My usual trip for food and other household necessities.    I try to limit my shopping to once a week.  I would prefer going even less often, and sometimes I manage that.  When I do, I feel proud that I s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d my dollar just a little bit further.


I have 5 grandchildren I watch, so I am always on the look-out for goodies for them.  At the moment, lunch has come full-circle.  It’s back to buying peanut-butter and jelly (strawberry jam at grandma’s) after a 30 year long hiatus when MY two were little ones.  Mostly though, the grandkids get turkey lunch meat with green beans, fruit, and…mustn’t forget the dessert.  They seem quite satisfied with that menu, right now, so all is good. 

It used to be that Macaroni and Cheese was the lunch of choice, but they tired of that.  Suddenly, what they proclaimed was their favorite, they now whine  they “don’t like it anymore.” 

Besides.  Grandma (a.k.a. Bob Evans) had the “traditional” macaroni noodle.  One wanted the “spiral” noodle like they get at home, another wants the skinnier, shorter noodle.  It’s hard to make everyone happy.  And who do we want happy?  Grandma…that’s who!  When Grandma’s happy…….everybody’s happy!

So, while I am in the grocery store picking out necessities, I am, again, in the toilet-paper aisle. Oh.  I guess it’s called toilet-TISSUE aisle.   Anyway, I say “again” because I swear I was just here recently spending almost $20 for the “BIG” size tissue.  And now here I am shelling out another $18.50 for more.  What is going on here?  These rolls that claim to be “double?”  No way!  I know that in a matter of a couple of days, that roll will be empty again!

Excuse me for the visual, but I pride myself on being clean in ALL my personal hygiene habits, but (no pun intended) changing a toilet paper roll every two days?  In my personal bath?  It’s not Grand Central Station, after all!

I have no scientific evidence, but my experience tells me that the rolls today are much smaller, nor are they wound as tight.  And the cost is exorbitant.  Will we have to return to the Sears-Roebuck Catalog in our hour minute of need?

And it’s not just toilet paper.  Have you seen the Ice Cream containers?  They are not all 2-quarts anymore.  The one is got today is 1.5 quarts.  My favorite Keebler Chocolate Chip Cookies that I have been munching on for years and years and years, suddenly look as small as silver dollars…and each almost as expensive! 

How about potato chips?  You are buying a bag of AIR!  And look at the price!  Unbelievable.

Companies are camouflaging their price increases by selling their products in smaller packages. 

But hey, look on the bright side…it’s less calories….except for that darn toilet tissue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Your comments are appreciated!